See the Directory for the current list of people who help to run the BJCA. Our child protection policy is published here (updated September 2014). You may wish to read a guide to junior chess player's development, written by a number of experienced parents.
Berkshire Junior Chess organises junior chess in the following local authority areas:
- West Berkshire
- Windsor and Maidenhead
- Bracknell Forest
- South Oxfordshire RGn postcode areas, e.g. RG4
To receive regular information from Berkshire Junior Chess Association, individuals should complete the 2016 Registration form, and return it to the address on the bottom of the form. Schools with chess clubs will receive information without completing the registration form, provided that Berkshire Junior Chess Association knows about the existence of the school chess club. Below is a list of activities that take place mainly between September and May.
- Teams play in national championships and in matches against other counties.
- Trials are held once a year for the under 9 and under 11 teams.
- Saturday afternoon Tournaments are held at schools in Berkshire. Together these events for a Grand Prix competition.
- Events for girls only are held.
- The Berkshire Junior Championship takes place once a year.
- A Lightning Tournament (ten seconds for each move) is held once a year. Venue and date for the 2016 event is to be arranged.
- Newsletters are published monthly and fixture lists giving dates of local events are published. These and tournament entry forms are circulated to those who have completed the registration form for the current year.
- Grades are calculated and published for those who have played a sufficient number of games. Rankings are only publihsed at the end of the season.
- Information can be provided about Primary and Secondary Schools Leagues in Berkshire, and chess clubs that cater for junior members.
- The Annual General Meeting is held in May or June.